Saturday 30 April 2016

Brake & Clutch pipes - Pt 1

Finally made a start on brake pipes also realising that I need to run the clutch pipe as well. The clutch line is going to follow the line for the front brake pipes only extending past the nearside connection approximately half way down the chassis to where the clutch slave will be mounted. There will be a flexible hose from the rigid mounted clutch pipe to the slave.

I've made a start where suggested in the Gen II manual that being the offside front tee position. Due to the weather I was not able to roll the body outside as it is pouring with rain so I have bent the pipes and positioned the tee where I want it and will drill and fasten later when I can get better access to the chassis.

I spent quite a bit of time practicing both bending the pipe and creating the necessary flares. I can now get a pretty decent flare so am happy to start. I also made a couple of aids for both bending and cutting to length of the pipe. This saved a lot of stress when I was measuring out.

Jigs
The photo above shows the jigs I made to aid in correct fabrication with the flares in their respective nuts. I could then screw the nuts on and mark the new pipe at the back of the nut and then add the required length to allow for the specific flare that was needed. Single flare needed and additional 3mm from the end of the finished flare and the double needed 4mm. On the bent pipe you can just see two lines around the pipe these correspond to two alignment marks on my small pipe bender. It just makes things neater and more consistent. I am a bit of a stickler for the way I want my pipes to look. Only time will tell.


Front offside (unbolted!)
Rear nearside from flex to tee (clips to add min 200mm apart)
That's pretty much where I'm up to so far. I'm going to be looking for some more pipe clips over the weekend so as soon as I've got these I can continue.

I'm off to Stoneleigh on Monday, can't wait. Collecting  some bits from AK and my screen from Brasscraft. Lets hope the weather is good for all of the Bank Holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment