Wednesday 16 May 2018

Fog & Reverse Lights - Pt 1

Now for something a little different than engine work. I am one of those people who like things all smooth so naturally I am going to french in both the reversing light and rear fog light.

I had to find a standard automotive light that was suitable and found those on the BMW Mini R50 are just right for the purpose I have in mind. There are both a reversing light and a rear fog light that fit very nicely into the rear bumper of the Mini. All I have to do is replicate the hole for the lights and bob's your uncle! (hopefully!!!)

Now for the parts. I purchased both rear lights and part of each loom (to get the correct connectors) and a scrap R50 rear bumper with the hole needed. These are a nice little clip in lights that will fit flush with the rear valance when finished.

Portion of Mini rear bumper




Clamp bracket and fastening
The first thing that I have done is to carefully mark out where I want the lights to go. AK has very kindly marked the lights on the car so I worked around these measuring exactly where I want them to go. Finding the centre line is a bit tricky with all the curves. All centred around the boot opening but this can be adjusted a little if necessary to ensure it looks right.


I've marked out the boundary I want for each part and then done a 3-4mm chopped strand mat layup over each area having first carefully applied mould release to ensure that parts come off the body OK.


Next job was to start making the mould for the light cavity. I have had to simplify it a little so that it is mould-able but even so the first try was a complete disaster! I had decided to try with just a thin skin of fibreglass but this was a big mistake. I ended up peeling it out in several pieces and re-thinking the whole process.


I decided to make the plug from silicone and then make another silicone mould over that and finally use tooling resin to make the rigid plugs to make the proper moulds with.

Bridge over the top of the light
Small aluminium bridging piece

Bridge covered with P40 for a bit more strength
All fully enclosed and sealed up

Front of mould border complete
Silicone poured. Lots of bubbles but will be OK

Plug removed and ready to create secondary mould

Now for the next part, the outer silicone mould that will create the solid plug for the light cavity that will be bonded to the small plate that was moulded on the rear of the car.

Balsa frame ready for covering the male plug

Male and female parts ready for solid core to be made

Now its time to pour the first of two solid core's from tooling resin that will enable me to make the proper cavity moulds that will be let into the bodywork.

Ready to pour with side supports
First one done, de-mould tomorrow

That's as far as I have got with this for now so more updates later.

No comments:

Post a Comment