Saturday 19 May 2018

Brake & Clutch pipes - Pt 6

When going round the AK stank last year I noticed that the clutch pipe appeared larger than the brake pipes. I have taken quite a lot of time in getting the pipes exactly how I wanted them so was a little concerned when I saw this. Off I  went to have a chat with Jon and he explained that it would be much better to have larger pipe for the clutch else the pedal pressure may be higher than I would really like. That was a bit disappointing I must say!!!

Oh well, nothing for it. I have to change from 3/16" up to 1/4" pipe. My biggest concern were the small stainless bracket I had fabricated and riveted to the chassis rail and the plastic clips that are holding the pipe on its routing as I didn't want to have to drill loads more holes for additional clips.

I decided to go for copper this time. I did have quite a difficulty in getting the fittings though but eventually found what I needed. Also I decided to split the pipe into two to make it much more manageable when forming and fitting (not to mention there would be less waste when I bend it the wrong way!)

Well lets get started....

First this to do was remove the old clutch pipe. The plastic clips are really rather 'grippy' and it was a bit of a struggle in getting the old pipe out. Good job it was being replaced! Anyway, I persevered and out it came. I also had to take off all the clips as these were only for 3/16" pipe but fortunately I was able to easily modify these at accommodate 1/4" too to that was a relief.

New 7/16" bulkhead fitting.

I had to tap the bracket 7/16" UNC else the hole would have been too big for the material left making it weaker than I want.

Now for the 'fun' part. Straightening the pipe is easy with the pipe straightener but I had to get another one for 1/4" pipe. I couldn't quite get the same run as originally so had to lift it up a little to clear the brake pipes.

First half straightened, cut to length and bent as necessary.

Copper, even a little larger in diameter is easier to bend that the cunifer I used for the brake pipes. I'm happy with the result and the pipes don't touch either where they cross over. It also makes it better when forming the swage on the pipe ends too.



I had to wait a few days for the straight connector to arrive but now it is here and fitted I'm pleased with the result. Just got a few clips to sort and then that leaves the connection to the clutch actuation on the bell housing but that will be a flexible hose.


Now the M5 rivnuts have arrived I can complete the fixings for the section that goes to the clutch.


Rear section fully fastened. Just connection for flexible to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment