Wednesday 25 May 2016

Brake & Clutch pipes - Pt 4

Well I had some time last weekend to complete the brake pipes and start looking at the fuel pipe run.

I'm pretty happy with the overall result of the brake and clutch pipes with just the short runs to the master cylinders left to do but that will happen later when I trial fit the pedal box etc. I'll probably just create a simple mock up to allow the fitting of the pedal box as others have done in the past. Must get a good supply of Dot 4 brake fluid for flushing and testing. I've added a few more pictures below of the runs that are completed.

The first photo show the need to tap the diff mount plate for the tee and then also for the p-clip that secures the nearside rear brake pipe (although this pipe may need to be re-done when I fit the fuel pipe as they will cross at some point!). The second photo shows what has proven to be an invaluable tool in drilling holes in very narrow places. this is a "Faithfull CHUCKRA Right Angled Keyless Drill Chuck 3/8-inch" that I got from Amazon.

For the pipe runs I am  generally using M5 stainless socket button head fasteners into rivnut's rather than simply tapping the chassis. I will change these to plated high grade steel as the socket is a little suspect on the stainless ones (ordered but in the post!). Before the rivnut's are swaged I've been using cavity wax just in case moisture gets inside the chassis rails now that they are drilled. All fasteners have thread lock and spring washers! Don't want them coming loose do we.

The last photos simply show the rear end runs now completed.


The only thing that may change is the nearside rear brake pipe as the fuel pipe run will cross this. It may be that I re-run the brake pipe to allow an easier route for the fuel pipe. We'll see as things continue to progress

No comments:

Post a Comment