Sunday 22 October 2017

Engine Frame

The time is approaching (be it rather slowly I must admit!) for the need of an engine frame for when I am able to take the completed engine across to Peter Knight Racing, Daventry to be setup and run in and certified.

So then, onto frame construction. What I would say is that it is essential to very carefully measure everything twice before you cut and especially before you weld. Do not assume that the engine mounts are symmetrical from side to side on the engine block! More on that later!

I decided to build my frame out of 30mmx30mmx3mm section steel so after measuring and calculating what I needed I bought a couple of 3m lengths of tube and some 30mmx8mm plates for the actual mounts. (As I was making this myself it meant that I had to purchase a nice new chop saw. Another great addition to the workshop!). This was then all cut to the appropriate sizes, de-burred and thoroughly cleaned as when the steel arrived it was covered in something like a graphite paste and was very messy to work with but it stopped it rusting before I used it though. As I normally do when making something I model it all out on CAD (day job!) just to make sure everything fits (or at least should do if you measure it correctly in the first place).

Nice new chop saw!
CAD of frame.
All parts cut to length
De-burred and ready to weld.

Now there was just one issue! I forgot to just tack weld the four mount plates before checking whether it fitted as expected. As you can guess it didn't!!!! I had not realised that the 2 pairs of mount holes were offset from one side to the other. Fortunately it was a simple task (ignoring the cutting and re-welding) to sort out and I am pleased to say that all is now OK. No harm done just another wasted hour or so.

Welded and painted with POR15.

Just now need to get that engine completed.


No comments:

Post a Comment