Tuesday 12 July 2016

Handbrake Mech - Pt 3

I finally found the time to start looking at the mod to the chassis to fit the 'pulley' setup for the revised handbrake mechanism. I was a bit concerned about drilling trhough the plate as the position is a bit tight to get at. I had no need to worry as all went really well from the start.

I carefully covered everything that I didn't want to be covered with swarf and then started to drill a pilot hole of 4mm As soon as it was a couple of millimeters deep I carefully rotated the drill to the correct angle to line up with the groove in the pulley and completed the hole.

This was then followed with a 20mm diameter hole saw which had its own pilot of 8mm diameter. As before i started the drill and after a few mm aligned it with the 4mm pilot hole. This made getting it all aligned a little easier. I had to be very careful as the hole saw started to cut into the plate as it was just a one sided cut so all had to progress slowly and carefully. The hole saw atr through the chassis plate much better than hoped and I have ended up with a pretty tight hole for the adapter tube.

Next I had to cut the slot for the cable. This was a labouious job and painfully slow. I ended up chain drilling a 4mm hole and using the drill as a slot drill to join all the holes up. Filing the slot was also really slow as access is tricky. Still got a little to do to make all smooth and straight (I'm a bit OCD as all has to be true and straight!).

Template added to chassis. Looks tight!!!
Drilling with the 20mm diameter hole saw. All covered.
Hole completed.
Slot added. Now just to angle and clean up.

Only thing's to do now is to weld in the adapter, clean up and repaint the whole area.

On the whole I am really pleased with the progress, just need to get that welder!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment