Wednesday 17 June 2015

Handbrake

I must be a bit sad really. I'm never happy with just a quick clean and polish, the parts have to be as good as they can possibly be (at least that is what I think!).

I managed to get a complete handbrake mechanism from good old eBay. The only part missing was the mounting bracket but this is replaced by an AK part so no worries.

When I got it was not too bad although it was pretty grubby and fairly rusty in a number of places.

As received. Not bad but could be much better.
I took quite a number of photos before I dismantled the assembly just to make sure I knew how it all went back together correctly.

On the right hand photo the distance the small starlock washer is pressed onto the rod is really important.

I completely dismantled the lever assembly to check all parts over. I decided to get all the zinc and yellow passivated parts re-plated and the lever re-chromed. The re-plating process essentially means that all parts are dipped in a solution that dissolves the old plating but leaves the steel untouched. This leaves the original metal rust free and ready to re-plate. 

Before dipping,
After dipping and re-plating the parts are essentially as good
as new. No more corroded parts.

I have managed to obtain the necessary split pin and press on lock washer. The thumb plunger and spring were perfectly OK so I have left these as was. The main lever itself has been re-chromed. Then it is a simple matter of re-assembling and then storing safely for later.

All re-assembled and positioned on the AK bracket ready to be fitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment